Tuesday, August 14, 2015
Since Sam chose a lesson on astronomy the other day, I got the idea to look up Bill Nye, the Science Guy and I play it for Sam on Netflix in the living room when I'm doing other things.
Not gonna lie, after Sam's spelling teacher came over yesterday and coached me, today was the first day in a few days that I was nervous about spelling with Sam because I was worried that I wouldn't be able to remember the things that she taught me. And I started reading Ido Kedar's amazing book, Ido in Autismland last night and it was amazing but filled me with all kinds of worries about the momentous responsibility that is on my shoulders. But I baked a magical spelling apple pie, fed Sam lunch, told him I was nervous but we were going to spell and it was going to be great!
The other thing I've discovered is that our private spelling sessions don't have to fit neatly into an hour time slot so we can just RELAX and have fun. He gets up a lot and I am not strong enough to prevent him and then I have to pull on his arms to get him off the couch. But maybe he needs that input on his arms! Let's assume this action fulfills a purpose!
And I am getting better and better at inserting semi-open questions into our lessons so I get to learn more about Sam each time, and also give him the opportunity to make choices. FYI, I did not tell him how to spell anything in this lesson, even HIERARCHY.
Oh, OH, and yesterday I was demonstrating to his teacher how I've been physically helping him with the first letter sometimes or using pie to catch his eye. But today I didn't have to do this ONCE!! He was doing much better at initiation and when he needed physical reminding I used the tambourine instead!!
I started today's session by bringing him into an important family event. I read the text conversation that had gone on about Julia's new job, and then after the lesson I texted the family what he said about it. <3 <3 <3
---------------------------------
Your sister, Julia, just got a job as head teacher at Sylvan Learning Center so let's give her a message!
Spell: JULIA
Spell: CONGRATULATIONS
Spell: SYLVAN LEARNING CENTER
In order to be a tutor you have to be: SMART
Let's continue our lesson about puns. Spell: INTELLIGENCE
Spell: HIGH INTELLECT
[Odors happening and Sam moving around, so.....]
Affirm or deny, Sam would like to use the toilet: A
[Sat on the toilet and peed!!]
Don't let anyone tell you that puns are a sign of low _____: INTELLIGENCE
What was John Pollack's book called? THE PUN ALSO RISES
Spell: SIDETRACK
Spell: HIERARCHY
Someone's _________ may lead him/her not to like puns: PERSONALITY
Those kinds of people want to get stuff done without ________: DISTRACTIONS
Spell: MORGAN FREEMAN
What network released a Father's Day jokes video: NICKELODEON
[Praying/thinking on my feet to segue into something personal....]
What movie did you watch with Griffin last night? GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY
What did Griffin eat? BURRITO
What kind of restaurant serves burritos? MEXICAN
What kind of Mexican restaurant is Sam allowed to eat at because of gluten-free options? CHIPOTLE
Affirm or deny, Sam loves Chipotle: AFFIRM
Let's eat at Chipotle tonight! Do you want chicken or beef? BEEF
Spell: GUACAMOLE
For our next topic we can do a lesson about an artificial surfing park or flying cars. Surfing or technology? SURFING
[He had his first surfing lesson yesterday so he seemed really excited about this!]
What is the name of the town where the surfing park is located? LEMOORE
What does WSL stand for? WORLD SURFING LEAGUE
Who is the founder of the park? KELLY SLATER
Was your surfing lesson yesterday awesome, frightening, or both? AWESOME
How much did the park cost to build? THIRTY MILLION DOLLARS
About how many fans came to opening day? FIVE THOUSAND
How much did amateurs pay to ride for an hour on opening day? NINE THOUSAND FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS
Do you think spending this much money is crazy or exciting? CRAZY
[Farting aroma again so I took him to the toilet again and he pooed! He was smiling from ear to ear!!]
No comments:
Post a Comment